Monday, January 10, 2011

101 Blog Post Ideas for Writers - Part 1


I'm constantly trying to come up with topics for my next blog post. I began compiling a list, and I want to share it with all of my writing friends. I'll post 51-101 later this week. I hope this sparks ideas for some brilliant posts!

1. What is your favorite quote and why?
2. What is your favorite book and why?
3. Ask a question
4. How you knew you wanted to become a writer
5. Your first memory of books or reading
6. Your first memory of writing
7. Photos of your writing space
8. Describe your dream writing space
9. Writers in your life and how they've inspired you
10. Creative prompts for other writers
11. What you've learned through blogging
12. What novelists can learn from screenplays
13. Overcoming writer's block
14. A list of your favorite industry blogs
15. A list of the best writing posts of the week
16. How you researched your last book
17. The most interesting piece of research you came across
18. If you could write any genre (and it would sell), what would it be?
19. How to plan a book signing
20. How to cope with a substantial critique or edit
21. Create a cartoon about writing
22. List the biggest mistakes you made in your first manuscript
23. How to throw a launch party
24. Describe your dream launch party
25. Your process for brainstorming
26. How to find a critique group or partner
27. How to speed up your writing process
28. Write about the time you almost gave up writing for good
29. Encourage other writers to keep going
30. The book idea you wish you'd thought of first
31. I can't sit down to write unless...
32. Time management systems for writers
33. Reviews of your favorite office supplies
34. An interview of your significant other about your writing habits
35. Your process for outlining a story
36. Goal setting
37. What to do if you've failed at the goals you set
38. How the books you read as a teenager affected you
39. Pseudonyms
40. Where to find inspiration
41. How a hobby has made you a better writer
42. How not to get an agent
43. Mistakes to avoid in manuscripts
44. Mistakes to avoid in synopses
45. Mistakes to avoid in query letters
46. Myths about writers
47. Grammar and punctuation lessons
48. Advice you wish someone had given you
49. Advice you wish you had never heard
50. Character names

You can find Part 2 (51-101) here.

If you write a post based on any of these prompts, post a link in my comments. I'd love to read it. Do you keep a list of blogging ideas?

Happy blogging!

21 comments:

  1. I love this idea. Someday when I'm stumped I'm going to link to this list. I'm almost at 400 posts, it has to happen at some point, right?

    ~ Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Julie! What a help you are. I'm definitely going to come back for a visit when I need ideas. These are great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Julie--I've linked my local writing group to this, as many of them are trying to blog more this year. Thanks for doing this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this! I NEEDED this! Thank you, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was a great post! I'll certainly use some of those suggestions and thanked you in my blog for today: http://www.nicolemillerbooks.com/2011/01/10/wip-update/

    Thank you again!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome list, Julie!! Thanks for sharing your brainstorm!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great list!!
    No, I don't keep a list of blogging ideas. I should get more organized. I kind of wing it. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  8. I once created a list for blogging topics but not sure where it is now. Buried in a pile of other lists, I think! Great idea. I'm copying your list, with your permission, and adding it to my One Note, and will link up for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so glad the list will come in helpful. Lynn, you definitely have permission to add it to your one note and link. Thank you to everyone for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ohhhhhh! Lots of great ideas here. Thanks for the awesome list! :O)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Julie,

    I have an ongoing list on a notepad that I refer to when the well runs dry. I'm not exactly the most creative person out there, so I need all the help I can get. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my word!I have never come up with topics in advance. I just write as the spirit moves me so to speak:)) Maybe I need to be more organized??

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is so perfect! I always go back and forth between what to write and how to organize it. This really helps a lot and gives me new ideas for posts! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my... what a find! Thanks for that list. There are days when ideas flow easily, but then on those 'other' days, it really is lovely to have something handy to fan the flame.

    Best........... and here's wishing you glimpses of heaven in unexpected places!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is just what I need, thank you. Now to find time to write the post! :D

    ReplyDelete
  16. thanks very much for sharing your wisdom

    ReplyDelete
  17. So glad I found this post! I'm a somewhat beginning blogger and have been struggling to come up with ideas on what to post so I can keep up a schedule. Thanks for sharing these with us!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Good thing blog posts are around for a while! :) I'm so glad I found this list of blog post ideas. I'll be using them as well as linking to you in my resources page.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great! Thanks, Diana. I'm so glad it's helpful.

      Delete
  19. Hi Julie, I came across your post when I was searching for some blog post ideas. I really like your idea of writing about the writers in your life and how they've inspired you.

    ReplyDelete